We all have been there, at some point or the other. No matter how hard we try to keep it clean, we just can’t. There are family functions, friends, work, all kinds of events in between ultimately resulting in a bad diet. Something similar happened to me the past month, I had been eating all kind of crap, was careless regarding my workouts, everything was a mess. I’ll discuss more of that in a separate post. Coming back to the topic in hand, I have put together 5 ways through which your regime of clean eating can get a kick-start:
- Clean your Refrigerator : This is the most effective method to implement healthy eating habits. Get rid of all the unhealthy stuff from your refrigerator as soon as possible. You won’t cheat if you don’t have anything to cheat with. No more midnight snack cravings, or stress eating instead, as there is only nutritious food available. And if you can cheat with nuts and veggies, you have my blessing to do so. The refrigerator is often neglected, hence I advice you to pay special attention to what products are there in your fridge.
- Start cooking your own meals: It’s been almost a year since I started preparing my own meals and it has done wonders. One, you don’t have to depend on anyone for having your meals, that is on time and second, you bypass all the unhealthiness. Take an example You were supposed to have some veggies along with some eggs for lunch. But your mom has already prepared a delicious feast. What happens? We all know what happens and have been there. I understand that everyone may not be good at cooking, but you can start from basics, from cooking 1 meal a day, to steadily increasing to five. Plus you also learn some cooking in the process. Bonus.
- Be regular at your workouts: It is found in a study that people skipping their workouts are more likely to cheat on their diet than the regulars. See, when you workout, your whole day is based around that workout. Your meals, at what time you take them, pre-workout meal, post-workout meal etc. This reduces the chances of cheating on your diet as you will always have this at the back of your mind that you have to workout and this cheat meal won’t be any good. Try it, it works.
- Peer Pressure: No one needs an introduction to peer pressure and we all are aware of how this can derail one from a perfect day of healthy eating. It requires only some words said with so much love and conviction that one has to give in. It can be your friends, colleagues, girlfriend, and the master of all, mom. These are the times one has to stand firm. Don’t budge under pressure. You will sound rude at the moment, but after all they will understand.
- Planning: Having all your meals according to your diet and on time will not be possible everyday, or let’s say most of the days. We have lives besides eating and work that needs to be taken care of. This is where planning comes into play. Plan ahead. You know you have an exam today so pack a meal to go. You know it’s going to be a busy day full of presentations, prepare your meal beforehand so that you don’t have to do it when you are tired. Implementing this will take time. Months. But practically , this is the most important factor. If you plan ahead, you won’t have yo grab a burger or order a pizza just because you were busy that day.
Bonus Tip : Cheat once a while This may sound a bit vague but when you have been on a strict diet, cravings can be hard to resist and it is common. Instead of going very long spells without cheating, go and have a cheat meal every week. One day, one meal, whatever you like and the next day, back to normal. What this does is that it helps you deal with those cravings in an efficient manner and this meal will also help boost your metabolism as well. So, once a week will do no harm. This is tried and tested.
These were my six tips which has helped me maintain my diet over quite some time now. I have already stressed enough on the importance of nutrition in my previous posts and how it can not be neglected. For any queries, discussions, reviews, feel free to drop me a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. And as always, find new things, look what works for you. Stay fit, stay happy.